Signs your liver needs a gentle detox
Did you know that hundreds of your body functions are carried out by your liver?
Three of the most important functions of the liver:
- Detoxify chemicals
- Process nutrients
- Regulate hormones
When your liver is congested you feel sluggish and irritable, especially first thing in the morning and after lunch.
When it’s healthy and clear, you feel bright and energised throughout the day.
When was the last time you felt that way?
How to know if you need a liver detox
How many of these can you tick?
- Poor sleep
- Morning fatigue
- Mid-afternoon slump
- Poor memory and concentration
- Mood swings or irritability
- Sensitive to noise
- Bloating, gas
- Constipation or diarrhoea
- Migraine or frequent headaches
- Hot flashes or night sweats at perimenopause
- Acne, including adult acne
- Eczema or itchy skin
- Low immunity
Drugs, medication and your liver
Have you ever taken over-the-counter medicines such as:
- acid reflux medicine
Or maybe prescribe medicines such as:
- birth control
They all contain chemicals that block your body’s normal processes.
All drugs need to be processed by the liver, stomach, gut, kidneys, blood and lymphatic system.
Two main causes of liver toxicity
1. Coffee, alcohol, sugar and processed foods
The typical 21st-century diet includes some of those, at least for most people.
These are rarely the main issue though.
2. Drugs and hormones
These are the main cause of liver toxicity.
Women take more medication than men.
- Courses of antibiotics for tonsillitis or UTI
- Painkillers for headaches and period pain
- Birth control and/or morning after pill and medical abortion
- Anti-histamines and steroids for allergy
- PPIs (Gaviscon, Lansoprazole etc.) for heartburn
- Laxatives and diarrhoea drugs for bowel issues
- Cannesten and Fluconazole for candida
Most people grow up with visits to the GP and the pharmacy and take medicine when they don’t feel well. Not because they want to, but because they want to get on with their life.
Does this resonate with you?
(That was the story of my life until my mid-twenties when I went to see a homeopath for the first time.)
It’s a simple fact that drugs, hormones and other medication build toxicity in the liver.
This is a hidden cause of many chronic health issues.
Good daily habits to support your liver detox
- Drink plenty of water
- Eat lots of leafy greens
- Avoid chemicals in food, medicine and skin-care
- Reduce sugar
- Make time for self-care
Homeopathy + homeobotanicals
There are many homeopathic remedies to support the liver.
These are the two I prescribe most often.
- Sepia – clears toxicity from hormonal drugs.
- Nux Vomica – clears toxicity from a wide variety of medication.
Homeobotanicals are herbs and botanicals that support the body in a variety of ways.
Homeobotanical Liver + Gallbladder formula includes traditional bitter herbs to help liver detoxification:
- Barberry (or Berberis) – detoxifies liver and kidneys which helps clear the skin
- Dandelion (or Taraxacum) – helps headaches and night sweats related to alcohol
- Celandine (or Chelidonium*) – tonic for the liver, gall-bladder and pancreas
Liver detox is always a good place to start
“I went to see Tracy to regulate my hormones, after many years of using the Mirena coil. She helped me with that in no time. Homeopathy turned my life around. Tracy has an amazing ability to dig deep inside and find the real causes of physical manifestations and before you know it, they are healed in mysterious ways. She is a wonderful person, very compassionate and caring. “
If there is anything here that resonates with you, please feel free to get in touch.
*Chelidonium has been researched and documented as an effective homeopathic medicine for chronic liver disease. [Link]