Your liver is amazing
Have you ever wondered whether you could benefit from a liver detox?
Hundreds of your body functions are carried out by the liver.
One way to explain it is that it’s our body’s chemical factory.
Here are three of the most important things it does:
- Detoxifies chemicals
- Processes nutrients
- Regulates hormones
The liver works on these functions 24 hours a day, which really is amazing.
But a build-up of toxicity can make it hard for the liver to carry out its normal functions as well as it should.
How to know if your liver is happy
If you are calm, motivated, and have good energy, clear skin, easy periods and are rarely ill, then you can be sure your liver is happy!
How to know if you need a liver detox
On the other hand, if you struggle with any of these things, you can be fairly sure that your liver is feeling sluggish.
- Insomnia or frequent waking
- Fatigue, mid-afternoon slump
- Poor memory, concentration or motivation
- Mood swings or irritability
- Bloating, wind, constipation or other digestive issues
- Migraine or frequent headaches
- Pre-menstrual issues
- Hot flashes, night sweats or other issues with perimenopause
- Acne, including adult acne
- Eczema or itchy skin
- Poor immunity
Are you using medication?
If you regularly use over-the-counter drugs such as antacids, laxatives, painkillers, cold medicines, decongestants, antihistamines or the morning-after-pill, your liver could be showing signs of congestion.
When you’ve needed to take prescribed medication such as sleeping pills, statins, antibiotics, steroids, strong painkillers, Roaccutane or the pill, coil, implant, abortion pill or HRT, gentle liver detox is probably a good idea.
What causes a toxic liver?
There are two main causes.
1. Coffee, alcohol, sugar and processed foods
The typical 21st-century diet includes some of those, at least for most people.
These are rarely the main issue though.
2. Drugs and hormones
These are the main cause of liver toxicity.
Most people don’t like taking them, but sometimes there isn’t another option.
The long-term use of pharmaceutical medication places a toxic burden on your liver.
This is what I see every week in my clinic.
- Headaches and period pain leading to reliance on painkillers.
- Repeated or extended courses of antibiotics, past or present.
- Years (sometimes decades) of hormonal birth control, plus one or two courses of emergency contraception.
- Prescribed drugs to help with depression, social anxiety, sleep etc.
Fact: Most of us grow up with visits to the GP and the pharmacy and take medicine when we don’t feel well. Not because we want to, but because we want to get on with our lives.
(That was the story of my life until my mid-twenties when I went to see a homeopath for the first time.)
Drugs, hormones and other medication build toxicity in the liver. This is often an underlying cause of symptoms of ill-health.
How to have a happy liver
Like many things, the simple things make a big difference.
Daily habits you can do easily for yourself:
- Drink plenty of water.
- Eat lots of greens.
- Eat good fat.
- Reduce sugar.
- Make time for self-care.
Homeopathy + botanicals
Many homeopathic remedies gently detoxify the liver.
These are the two I prescribe most often.
- Sepia – clears toxicity from hormonal drugs.
- Nux Vomica – clears toxicity from a wide variety of medication.
Homeobotanicals are herbs and botanicals that support the body in a variety of ways.
Homeobotanical Liver + Gallbladder formula includes traditional bitter herbs to help liver detoxification:
- Barberry (or Berberis) – contains berberine, which helps with liver detox and clears skin.
- Dandelion (or Taraxacum) – helpful for liver headaches and night sweats.
- Celandine (or Chelidonium*) – an all-round tonic for liver, gall-bladder and pancreas.
Liver detox is always a good place to start
“I went to see Tracy to regulate my hormones, after many years of using the Mirena coil. She helped me with that in no time. It turned out, that it was just a fraction of the things that I could solve. Homeopathy turned my life around. Tracy has an amazing ability to dig deep inside and find the real causes of physical manifestations and before you know it, they are healed in mysterious ways. She is a wonderful person, very compassionate and caring. “
If there is anything here that sounds like something you’d like help with, please feel free to get in touch.
*Chelidonium has been researched and documented as an effective homeopathic medicine for chronic liver disease. [Link]