Self-care | 6 steps to get your sparkle back
- Finding it hard to get a good night’s
- Still feel tired even when you do?
- Relying on coffee for energy?
- Craving sugar in the afternoon?
- Hormones all over the place?
- Skin not happy?
- Sex drive taken a nose dive?
- Digestion not working well?
- Drinking more than you should?
Does this sound like you?
At my homeopathy clinic I see a lot of women with who feel this way more often than not.
They can’t remember the last time they felt like themselves and they really want to get their sparkle back.
When I explain ‘long term stress’ is the real cause of their symptoms, they know exactly what I’m talking about.
Our adrenal glands respond to stressful situations by pushing hormones into our system to help us cope.
Our busy lifestyles cause this to happen often, so we end up exhausted and our whole system gets out of balance.
Busy + busy = stressed
On a day-to-day basis, most of us have a busy life and we just get on with it.
Sometimes it’s easy to juggle all the things you have to do. Other times it feels like you’re hanging on by the skin of your teeth.
Deadlines, responsibilities, caring for others, managing an overflowing calendar. All of these demand your full attention.
Even when things are going well you can find yourself lurching between feeling happy and ‘on top of things’ and overwhelmed and irritable.
You want to feel back in control but there’s so much information out there it’s hard to know what to do first and what will actually make you feel better. That’s where I want to help.
6 steps to get your sparkle back
Our world moves at a fast pace. Instead of constantly striving to keep up, learn to pace yourself.
Instead of being wired, tired and overeating for a quick energy fix, you need to slow down.
By taking these steps, you can restore balance to your stressed out adrenals and your life.
1. Nutrition + routine = hormonal balance
Your body needs to know that it is not in danger of starving.
The best way to get this message across is to eat healthy food regularly, and in a natural rhythm throughout the day.
- Have a nutritious breakfast that includes protein within an hour of rising.
- Eat lunch early, ideally before noon to prevent a dip in cortisol.
- Have a healthy snack around 2pm.
- Eat dinner as early as possible (5 or 6pm is ideal).
- Make dinner a lighter meal.
- Eat mainly lean protein and vegetables.
- Reduce carbohydrates and consider going gluten-free for a while.
- Use garlic and ginger regularly.
- Eat mineral rich salt such as Himalaya salt.
- Drink calming herbal teas.
- Avoid refined sugar.
2. Sleep + unplug = energy
Many of my clients struggle to wake up in the morning, can’t stay awake in the afternoon and then have trouble sleeping at night.
Your body cannot properly rest and regulate your hormonal cycles when you’re not getting enough sleep.
- Eat larger meals earlier in the day.
- Turn off all technology by 8pm.
- Get into a good evening routine.
- Be in bed and asleep by 10pm.
3. Exercise + fun = happy
Exercise can help us reduce stress but only if it does not make us feel tired. Find more ways of having fun. Enjoying your exercise is a great place to start.
- Walk in fresh air when you can.
- Light exercise helps heal adrenal fatigue.
- Limit heavy exercise to morning or early afternoon.
- Yoga or walking is better for late afternoon and evening.
- Read, watch and listen to things that make you laugh.
4. Stretching + deep breathing = relaxation
Deep breathing and stretching will calm your entire body. This might not seem like a big deal but it can make a huge difference to your stress levels very quickly.
- Take a few deep breaths when you start to feel stressed.
- A short daily yoga routine is invaluable.
- Meditation helps us be in the present moment.
- Pilates is strengthening yet mindful.
- Massage is deeply restorative for body and mind.
5. Letting go + saying no = time for you
It isn’t easy to let things go. Remember that being busy and stressed will appear as extra weight or other things that affect your health and well-being.
- Practice saying no before you are too busy, not only when you can’t fit something in.
- Ask for help when you need it.
- Book regular downtime for yourself in your calendar.
- Find ways to simplify your life.
6. All of the above + homeopathy = get your sparkle back!
Taking steps to support yourself both physically and emotionally is essential, not just during extra busy times, but as an ongoing practice.
Seeking expert advice is invaluable, not only when you are sick, but to help you understand yourself better and make lifestyle changes. It’s that extra step that makes all the difference.
Homeopathy treatment means regular time to talk about yourself, which is valuable in itself.
We talk about whatever is going on for you symptom-wise and look at it in the context of your medical history and life events.
Together we make sense of what is happening so you feel more in control.
What to expect from working with me
There are two changes I always expect to see very quickly.
- Quality of sleep improves and there is an upswing in energy and mood.
- You find yourself wanting to set stronger boundaries.
Restoring balance to your life and your adrenals means physical symptoms start to improve too.
Hormones feel more balanced, skin becomes clearer, you look and feel stronger.
You start to feel more like yourself than you have for a very long time, only better! Everyone around you will notice too!
“As I speed towards naturally curing my Chronic Fatigue instead of ‘living’ with it which means making sacrifices to accommodate it (NO THANKS!), I’m grateful that: my body is amazing and knows how to fix itself, and I feel better than I have in 20+ years.”
Would you like to get your sparkle back?